Wednesday, March 24, 2010

There’s a twelve-year-old in the house!

Bryce David

March 24, 1998

Weight: 9 pounds, 8 ounces

Height:  19 1/4 inches

baby 

My story of Bryce begins not on March 24 but on March 23rd. 

I was teaching First Grade back in those days but had been off for a week or so to prepare for my first child.  The doctor and I both had figured (or had wished) that I would have all ready delivered but baby Bryce was taking his time.  I decided to take a nap on March 23rd because I had cleaned everything in the house and well, what else can you do when you’re 9 months pregnant?

Soon after I awoke, there was knock on my door and I opened it to find my father-in-law, my mother-in-law, and my youngest brother-in-law.  They had bought a new car that day and came by to show me.  We were chatting away while I put my shoes on to go out to see the new car.  As I stood up, I heard & felt a “pop” and a gush of warm water running down my leg.  I immediately sat back down to assess what had just happened.

momoandbryce

I looked at my mother-in-law, Mrs. Sheryl and said, “I think that my water broke.” 

I really don’t remember what was said other than I mumbled in a bewildered sort of way,

“So now what do I do?”

To which Mrs. Sheryl replied, “Well, you have a baby!”  :0)

I remember going to my bedroom to change clothes and trying to figure out what to do.  This was not how my type A self had planned this!  :0)  Mrs. Sheryl helped me and we called my dad who came to pick me up and take me to the hospital. 

bryce&toys

Someone (and I really don’t know who…) called Dave who was in the city to which I was headed to have our baby.  I know he freaked out a bit but that’s his story and he’ll have to tell that sometime.  I was freaking out all the same.  My water had just broken in front of my 14 year old brother-in-law…it had broken all over my brand new cloth shoes…(which Mrs. Sheryl washed for me)…I had to ride with my water gushing (a trickle, my foot ;0) in my parents’ brand new car with leather interior…

I found out that day that you really can’t plan much when it comes to having a baby…some times you have to go with the flow.  I think God was getting me ready in those hours for some big changes that would happen over my lifetime due to becoming a mother. 

bryce&necklaces

About 45 minutes into it all, my contractions started.  I remember thinking, “Well, that wasn’t so bad…”  <hahahahaha>…

I arrived in the hospital and was admitted.  (Oh, and I loved the remark from the lady who saw me in the hall and it was quite apparent that my water had broken… “It looks like someone is having a baby today.” ) 

I spent the next few hours trying to breath through the contractions and around 5 cm, I started wondering where that anesthesia man was…and if he were a woman, he would be in here right now (yes, I actually said that).  And would you please turn off the Academy (or was it the Oscars) Awards, those people are getting on my nerves all dressed up while I lay here in my lovely hospital gown in the worse pain I have ever felt.  Let me say, when you are in labor, all niceties go out the window…well, that and your modesty.  :0)

bryceonslide

After the epidural, I settled down and spent the next few hours awaiting the birth of our son.

It was early in the morning when they told me that I was ready to push.  And so the “labor” began…

Here’s where things really headed off course for my type A personality.  You see, I did not want a c-section.  In child birth class, I could not watch the video on c-sections and I sure did not want one.  It was the last thing I had planned.  But 3 hours into pushing and no progress being made, those were the words I heard….

C-section…

By this time, I had been laboring for 14 hours.  I was tired. David was tired.  So I said, “Let’s do it.”  I remember being rolled out while our parents stood in the hall that early morning.  I remember their faces and I saw some tears.  It was scary. 

bryceatfair

We went into the OR and soon thereafter, we heard the cries of our baby boy.  I remember the doctor saying, “Well, no wonder!  He’s a big headed baby!”  (Thanks, doc)  It seems I am one of those women who can not birth big babies and yet I have big babies. 

David went with the baby to the nursery and I was so excited but so very tired at the same time.  The anesthesiologist offered me something to go to sleep while I waited.  By the way, he was my new best friend.  I totally forgave him for helping that other woman while I was in pain… ;0) 

So I slept for the next little while but you have to be careful when you are given some of that medicine to help you rest.  Let’s just say the words, “Feed my baby please.  Don’t let him starve.”  and “Please call my insurance company” are words that you might hear…I’m just saying…

Picture 054

We brought Bryce home and after the first 2 weeks of night and day mix up, he has been the easiest baby out of all five!  He slept through the night before 6 weeks of age and has been a great sleeper since.  I have never had that happen with another child! 

Bryce has been our child who has taught us as much about parenting as we have taught him about life.  I just think that is what happens with first-borns. 

Picture 257 He is definitely a leader both in our home and in his other surroundings.  We have been told by other adults in his life that he is a leader and that he is one who will stand his ground.  He stands for what he believes in. 

P3290084 He is 110% boy.  He loves hunting.  He loves fishing.  He loves dogs.  He loves going on hunting trips with my dad and fishing trips with Dave’s dad. 

P5240077

Even though he is such a “boy”, he is very artistic.  He can draw very well.  And the boy can organize anything.  He loves to organize the garage and Dave has said many times, “He does a better job than I do.”  :0)

Downloaded from cell 5-20-08 042

If anyone ever needs something to be done, Bryce will do it.  He is very dependable and he gets the job done.  He likes to work.  He is the one who at the end of the school day will tell me, “Thanks for planning our school.  I had fun today.” 

 Picture 086

As Bryce has gotten older, I have really come to enjoy him.  Not that I don’t enjoy my younger children.  But as your child gets older, you can really talk.  I mean really, really talk.  It really puts another spin on this parent/child relationship. 

I have enjoyed these past twelve years with my first born son.  I look forward to many more…even those teenager years which will start…<gulp> in a year!

Happy 12th birthday, Bryce! 

6 comments:

  1. Adrianne, I have been following your blog for a month now and LOVE it! We live in a small home and homeschool our 2 littles. I did a google search to be inspired by small home homeschooling and your blog came up. I enjoyed reading today's post. My son (the oldest) will be six this year and your post made me cry as I can relate to this! Thanks for sharing your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, how sweet. YOu keep inspiring me to be a better MOm, Wife, Blogger...the list goes on an on. I Love You lady!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. now i feel old. thanks A for reminding me just how old i must be if bryce is 12. really. thanks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, Hi & thanks for stopping by my blog! And thank you for the comment. :0)

    Mackey, Thank you. You inspire in so many ways too.

    Salinda, I feel the same exact way when I look at your two. I remember seeing Topher when he was just a wee babe. And now look at him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, Hi & thanks for stopping by my blog! And thank you for the comment. :0)Mackey, Thank you. You inspire in so many ways too. Salinda, I feel the same exact way when I look at your two. I remember seeing Topher when he was just a wee babe. And now look at him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adrianne, I have been following your blog for a month now and LOVE it! We live in a small home and homeschool our 2 littles. I did a google search to be inspired by small home homeschooling and your blog came up. I enjoyed reading today's post. My son (the oldest) will be six this year and your post made me cry as I can relate to this! Thanks for sharing your life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails