Thursday, April 8, 2010

Living large in a small house ~ Organizing sewing materials

I love to sew.  However, I live in a small house so I do not have a place to designate as my “sewing room”.   Since I have to put my sewing stuff completely away after every use, I am less likely to sew because it can be a bit overwhelming to pull it all out again and put it all back again.  Plus, it was in a closet in the boys’ room where we keep all of the school crafting materials.  It’s probably not a good idea to wake your sons just so you can sew at night. ; ) So, I set out to find another place to store my sewing items.

I looked for a space that I could sacrifice to my sewing hobby.  Then I notice that the top shelf of my china cabinet was holding knick knacks.  I’m not a big knick knack person so I was ok with moving them out of that space.  But did I really want my sewing notions, thread, etc. out in the middle of my house?

DSCN2760 Here’s a shot of my china cabinet with my dishes on the bottom two shelves and my sewing materials on the top.

I like things to be contained in baskets or containers so I searched out the house for such things.   Then I organized my materials into the baskets and boxes that I had found.

DSCN2762 From the top, clockwise:(1) Embroidery items and cutting utensils; (2) cords, manuals, & applique needs;(3) thread; (4)most used items such as pins, scissors, needles, etc.  My craft closet holds items that I might not use as readily.

Now that everything had its place, I put the containers into the cabinet on the top shelf.  I love the way that it looks but I find functional items pretty.  I don’t know…it just thrills me when something is pretty and functional. 

DSCN2761 

I also make sure that I have a basket containing my current projects and patterns close at hand.  I keep it out close to my sewing machine.  My fabric and pattern stashes are kept in the craft closet.

DSCN2759 That is  my current project basket on the end of the dresser.

I also look for little used spaces to hold items such as my cardboard cutting board and my ironing board.

DSCN2768 My large cardboard cutting board hides between the china hutch and the wall.  It is not even noticeable since it is the same color as the cabinet.

DSCN2769 Do you see my ironing board?

DSCN2771 It hides behind this door!

In summary, here is what I do when looking for space in a small house:

1.  Think outside of the box.  A china hutch doesn’t have to just hold china & dishes.  The same could be said of many items.

2.  Look for hidden, unused spaces.  I like my house to be as clutter free as possible.  So that means I want items put away but when you are limited in the space department, that can be tough.  Look behind doors, under furniture…anywhere that is a space that is not being used.

3.  Decorate with functional items.  Kind of a two-for-one deal.  I rarely decorate with items that are just pretty to look at.  I like most of my decorations to be pretty and serve a purpose as well.  Notice I didn’t say always. ;0) Everyone needs a little beauty in their lives!

 4.  Use what you have.  I try to use containers and shelves, etc that I all ready have on hand.  Every once in a while, I have to buy more but more often than not, I have what I need. 

 

3 comments:

  1. think outside the box! that is really good advice...I am going to be more aware of those "extra" little spaces that I can utilize. i like that you mentioned that we need to have something beautiful...that is sweet and true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you please come over and organize a sewing spot for me?? I never get out my sewing machine because it's so much work to put it all away each time. I really need to find a solution like you have... and I think functional and orderly is pretty thrilling too! I love how your shelf looks now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you please come over and organize a sewing spot for me?? I never get out my sewing machine because it's so much work to put it all away each time. I really need to find a solution like you have... and I think functional and orderly is pretty thrilling too! I love how your shelf looks now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails