Thursday, May 27, 2010

Our preschool ~ The letter Z

DSCN3546 During the month of May, Sunshine Girl has been learning her last few letters of the alphabet.  This week we focused on the letter z.

~ Z is for zebra ~

Using an idea from Walking Along the Way, we made a zebra from a z using black electrical tape.  We read about zebras using the book shown.  It is the Kingfisher First Encyclopedia of Animals.  We love this book and have used it so many times this year to learn about various animals. 

~ Z is for zoo ~

DSCN3542 We love the book Good Night, Gorilla.  It is about a little gorilla who gets out of the zoo and takes some friends with him.  Sunshine Girl is showing us the reaction of the zookeeper’s wife when…well, I don’t want to spoil the book.  This book is a favorite around here.

DSCN3917 I found some zoo animal stamps at Hobby Lobby and Sunshine Girl made a zoo by putting the correct number of animals in their habitats.  (I called it cages but my older boys informed me that it was their habitats.  I stand corrected!)

DSCN3974 I also found these zoo animal puppets to sew at Hobby Lobby.  Sunshine Girl made the elephant.  I’m glad there were four in the package because everyone wanted in on the action.

DSCN3977 

~Other Various Z activities~

DSCN3520 ~ Z is for zig zag ~

This year, I decided to only buy the three primary colors in paint and some white paint to make tints.  So when my children want a color beside red, blue, or yellow, they have to mix the color themselves.  Sunshine Girl chose purple for her letter z. 

DSCN3503

DSCN3504

 DSCN3508After she mixed the colors and painted, we cut zig zags from folded paper and glued the zig zags to our letter Z.

DSCN3511

 

DSCN3544 Z and not Z found at Hubbard’s Cupboard

DSCN3550 ~ Singing about Zacheus ~

We only have four letters left to share for our preschool this year!  I can’t wait to show you our completed alphabet wall.  :)

 

3 comments:

  1. what I love about these post is the joy this little girl has for learning...

    It warms my heart!
    You have such great ideas for pre-school learning. I will be coming here this fall for my little three year old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW- I will be here, too!! I had not thought of any of those FUN things for Lily to do with letters! You have such a wonderufl imigination! I cant wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what I love about these post is the joy this little girl has for learning...

    It warms my heart!
    You have such great ideas for pre-school learning. I will be coming here this fall for my little three year old!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails