Monday, June 21, 2010

~Garden Notes ~ June 21, 2010

 

~Cucumbers a-plenty, cucumbers galore~DSCN4604

DSCN4549

 

 

~Green beans in various stages~

DSCN4598

DSCN4607

~Beautiful wildflowers adding touches of color~

DSCN4587

DSCN4588

~Insects – some busy helping and some busy hurting~

DSCN4578

DSCN4590 ~bees and dragonflies~

DSCN4313

DSCN4312

 

~results of squash borer worm which left one lone yellow squash for the family & me~

~Corn that tells the story of little critters~

DSCN4571

DSCN4649 

~First picture taken on Saturday and second picture taken this morning.  Some stalks were stripped bare.  I’m pulling corn this evening and am going to enjoy fresh corn from the Farmer’s Market instead.  The little critters left us very little corn.~

~Sweet surprises from the compost~

DSCN4655

 ~These little squash plants sprouted around the peppers as a result of the compost that I used.  I dug them up and planted them in various places in the garden.  I’m waiting to see which types of squash plants that they are!~

~Mulch that works~

DSCN4650~I haven’t been able to make it out the homes of our country-living friends to harvest some pine straw so I used the leaves from the yard compost pile for mulch.  It has been a life saver.  This row was weeded and mulched about 3 weeks ago!  It has definitely kept the weeds at bay.~ 

~Yukon Gold potato harvest and an early morning helper~

DSCN4651

DSCN4658

~Summer surplus from a neighbor~

DSCN4663~Okra, tomatoes, and a kershaw (curshaw,?) ~

I’m really not sure what the squash plant is.  My neighbor said a kershaw or something like that.  He said it was in the pumpkin squash family.  I’m going to google it but if you have any ideas, I’d love to hear them.  I’m really not sure what to do with it.~

 

~Farmer’s Market goodness~

DSCN4665 ~We keep local honey around to help combat allergies.  When I saw this honey with the honeycomb, I could not pass it by.  My impulse buy was honey!  We also bought some fresh peaches (yum), a watermelon, and some tomatoes at the famer’s market.~

~A yummy book~

51aDpI-ON6L__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_~I have wanted this book for a while and when we saw it at Cracker Barrel, David bought it for me. (click picture for link to amazon for book information)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, everything looks to be coming right along. My green beans are flowering too, and we harvested red potatoes this past weekend. I plan to blog about it this evening. Now if I could just get it to stop raining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on Single Mom in the South!

    My garden is coming along as well, but I was devastated to discover that the squash bugs got my zucchini this year...I've never had that happen before and I'm SO disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adriane, I have to tell you that you simply amaze me at what you and your family are growing in your little space. I am in awe of how pretty your garden is...I love those flower pictures. I hope you are clipping a few and bringing them indoors. I am so thankful for your blog and for you sharing your life with the world...You are a true source of inspiration to me each time I visit you here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ott, A ~ You can send that rain my way...I don't mind! ;) I'll be sure to check out your garden post!

    SSSmom ~ I can not grow yellow squash or zucchini. I try and I always lose it to squash borer worms. I can grow cucumbers...they don't bug it. (no pun intended) I realized tonight that some had gotten into my pumpkins too. Those little buggers strike before you realize what has happened!

    Thanks, Amanda! I thought of you when I bought the honey. :) Anyway, thanks for the compliments. They made me smile. I tell myself all the time to cut the flowers and then I chicken out. I don't know why! I planted them so we could cut them and then I'm afraid to do it (and haven't a clue why, either). Yes, I know that is kind of weird! Ok, tonight...I'm going to cut some flowers and bring them inside! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails