Tuesday, June 22, 2010

~ I love summer ~

If I am asked, I will actually say that my favorite season would be either spring or fall (it depends on the time of year).  But I can’t help but love summer.  There is just something about the “laissez les bon temps rouler” (“let the good times roll”) attitude of summer. 

I have started this summer with the good intentions of getting our home in good working order.  This large family needs some routine and simplification before we start a new school year. 

But I have been sidetracked!  Usually it is the garden but now it is the garden and this:

~ The Pool ~

DSCN4682~ And yes, they were eating watermelon while in the pool.  It’s summer and we let the good times roll!  :)~

With my thermometer all ready recording temperatures of 103 degrees, we spend a lot of time here looking for a reprieve from the heat.  I’m not complaining, mind you, but I sure could use a rainy day or two.  My garden and my messy house need the rain!  If it rained, then I would be forced to stay inside and clean.  Come rain, come…I have no power to resist the pull of the pool! 

DSCN4686

The pool is not the only reason that I love summer so much.  Let’s look at tonight’s dinner, shall we…DSCN4671 

  • potatoes & cucumbers – our garden
  • fried okra – neighbor’s garden
  • chicken – Wal-mart (ok, so not so special on that one)

What other time of year can you enjoy a whole meal that comes almost entirely from your or a friend’s garden?  I get such a thrill knowing that I have worked and toiled over this food.  And it’s a good kind of work that brings a unique satisfaction.  It is a work that I enjoy…most of the time. 

DSCN4666~Frying some yummy okra, mmmm, mmmm~

Did I mention that I also love that you can spend so much time outside in the evenings because of the late sunsets?  I love to be outside in the evening and listen to the insects singing their songs.  Tonight we headed out into the evening air with a special Farmer’s market treat.

~ Watermelon ~

DSCN4674 

DSCN4675

DSCN4691 

And we swam a little more under the soft glow of the moon…

DSCN4694 

And I lay back in the grass and enjoyed the views because I’m a happy, contented, summer-loving momma.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how wonderful :) Makes me want to stay home today and not grocery shop :) I love spring and fall, too... but summer time activities are the BEST!! Especially when watermelon is involved. Looks like everyone is having a great time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was starting to get fretted with summer..you know~
    mosquitos,chiggers,heat,chiggers,weeds,humidity,chiggers..{yes we've had some chiggers here} I'm not a fan of creepy crawlies...
    but you are making me enjoy summer just reading this post....The pool is the best thing...I recall the last few summers, it's been our highlight. I would sit by the pool and snap beans and sip tea whiole the children played for hours on end. Now if I could come up with a way to keep them from wanting to be in and out!
    I was just thinking yesterday how I am soo looking forward to our first "offical" garden meal and it looks like yall are having it...YUM-EEE!
    GREAT POST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how wonderful :) Makes me want to stay home today and not grocery shop :) I love spring and fall, too... but summer time activities are the BEST!! Especially when watermelon is involved. Looks like everyone is having a great time...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails