Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Are you a tightwad?

DSCN6234

I realize that most people prefer terms like “frugal” or “penny-pincher” as opposed to “tightwad”.  However, this the word that launched our journey into the world of frugal living. 

In the year 2001, I left my job as an elementary teacher and our income was cut completely in half.  The search began for resources to show us how to make the changes we needed to make in order to live on our new income so I could be at home with my children. 

That’s when I found the book, The Tightwad Gazette.  I originally read it in the library but decided that it was one that I needed to make a part of my home library.   This book has been referenced many times over the years.

Also over the years, our family has been blessed with increases of income (and increases of children :).  And as many who experience pay increases, we increased our spending and decreased our frugal ways. 

But what we didn’t foresee was a layoff due to cutbacks at my husband’s work.  We are one of those families affected by the slumping economy. 

And even though my husband is currently employed again, we have a wave of debt that can happen when you are not prepared for something like a layoff.  

In an effort to help our family make it during these tough times, I pulled my old copy of The Tightwad Gazette off of the shelf again.  After reading the foreword by the author, Amy Dacyczyn, I went from feeling sorry for myself for having to be “frugal” to being inspired and well…fired up to get to live a frugal lifestyle.

I decided to challenge myself.  For the month of October (and probably longer), I am going to reread The Tightwad Gazette and add one new frugal life change a week.  Not only that, I will be trying to learn one new skill a month that will help our family to save money.   My plan is to document and share that with you on Tuesdays on my blog. 

And look what the first section of the book is:

DSCN6238

How’s that for good timing? 

I’d love to hear from you too!  I love to visit blogs on frugality (just don’t have time to link to them right now).  And I love to hear new tips.  I hope that as I share each week that you all will share with me too! 

 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I keep my copy on my coffee table and read a little bit out of it each day. I find if I do that I stay on track a little better. I stay focused and I can put down the "non essentials" at the store easier. In August of 2009 I quit my job and cut our income in half. The blessings from God, the skills I learned from this book and what my mom and grandmother already taught me really helped us get thru this year. So excited to read your upcoming posts on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Melissa! I'm excited about this too. Rereading this book has lit my fire to start saving money again...and to do it joyfully with a goal in mind instead of begrudgingly.
    And my Grandma is one of the most frugal people that I know. I have learned a lot from her too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh weee!
    I am REALLY looking forward to this too!!!!
    we can ALL stand to learn more ways to cut back nowadays. I've never read the book, but think I just might have too now.
    Thanks for posting this...
    I love how you are "all fired up now" that's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book years ago. I think it may be time for a trip to the library to check it out again. I am looking forward to reading your tips on Tuesday. I think we all can stand to be more frugal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails