Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eating for less challenge: Day 3 ~

DSCN7067

Tonight’s Meal:

Turkey & gravy over rice, cheesy broccoli, (leftover) homemade rolls, and banana muffins (for dessert when we got home from church)

Total Estimated Cost:

Approximately $ 3. 07 or about 44 cents per person in our seven person family

So by now, you’ve figured out that I’m definitely not a gourmet cook!  I’m a pretty simple cook and my family tends to like their meals pretty simple too.  

As far as keeping it simple, this meal had to be quick and easy because it was a busy day and night for us.  On nights that I am not rushed to be somewhere, I try to cook a little extra here and there and freeze it for future meals.  Tonight’s meal was exactly that:  a combination of many different cooking ahead days. 

~ The Breakdown~

~Turkey and Gravy over rice~

  • 1 pound of turkey at 39 cents a pound = 39 cents
  • turkey gravy = basically free (made with turkey juices and gravy mix that came with turkey)
  • 6 cups cooked rice = 50 cents

total:  89 cents

DSCN6755

A few weeks ago, we bought a 12 pound turkey for 39 cents a pound ($4.68).  One night, we roasted the turkey and even after eating some that night, we still had quite a bit left.  The rest of the turkey went into the freezer for various meals.  Since there was quite a bit of gravy left, I decided to freeze that too.  In the above picture, the mashed potatoes went into the frig and became potato soup a few days later.  (We try to use up those leftovers.) 

Tonight, I heated the gravy and added two bags of turkey meat (which was a little more than one pound).  We ate this over rice.  It was very easy and very good.  Being this close to Thanksgiving, some might not want to eat turkey right now.  I probably wouldn’t either if our family made the traditional type turkey.  But my family does a cajun fried turkey for Thanksgiving (YUM-O!) so we haven’t messed up our turkey eating experience!  

We have been able to get many meals out of this turkey.  Actually, I have another turkey that we bought at 29 cents a pound sitting in the freezer!  I will roast it one day and freeze the meat for future meals. 

And for a few ideas on how we have used or will use that turkey:

  • turkey and rice
  • turkey pot pie
  • turkey enchiladas
  • turkey gumbo
  • turkey tortilla soup
  • turkey quesadillas
  • turkey salad sandwiches
  • turkey soft tacos

DSCN6771 The crockpot was busy making some turkey broth!

And the list could go on some more.  Basically, if you can make it with chicken, you can make it with turkey. 

~ Cheesy Broccoli~

  • cheesy broccoli bought with coupon = 68 cents
  • 1/2 bag of frozen broccoli = 50 cents

total:  $1.18

I have recently begun using coupons to help buy some of our groceries and toiletries.  (More on that later.)  One item that we bought was Green Giant Cheesy Broccoli which we got for 68 cents.  However, the box was little and would probably only feed one and a half people around here.  So I steamed 1/2 a bag of frozen broccoli, added it to the cheesy broccoli, and salted it a bit.  Voila!  Easy & cheap veggies!

~(Leftover) Rolls ~

free because they were leftover from last night’s meal

~Banana Muffins~

estimated to cost about $1.00 because I’m too lazy to compute all of the costs.  But after looking at flour, sugar, and bananas in the recipe, I think $1.00 sounds good.

total:  $1.00

DSCN7065

A few overly ripe bananas and a late night out helped me decide to pull a premixed muffin mix from my freezer.  I added the wet ingredients to the all ready mixed dry ingredients & baked.  Easy!  Now, my family has a little sweet snack when they get home from church!

Day 3 meal total:  $ 3. 07

(now that’s what I’m talking about!)

Banana Muffins

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • could add in some chocolate chips but I didn’t have any

Mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.  In another bowl, beat egg, add in bananas and applesauce.  Add to flour mixture.  Stir until moistened.  (Could add chocolate chips here.)  Spoon into greased muffin tin.  (I used cupcake liners.)  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes. 

Final Thoughts on Day 3 challenge:

Seeing that $3.07 total is mighty exciting!  This meal was very tasty and it was fun to see how much we could eat for so little money.  It is possible to feed a family of seven good, filling food on a tight budget.

Previous posts on eating for less challenge:

Day 1

Day 2

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails