Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Church cookbooks and a pot pie recipe

November 29, 2011 004

I love church cookbooks.  I have quite a few.  Some are from churches that my father pastored, some are from the church David grew up in, and some are from other churches we have gone to or were given as gifts to us. 

November 29, 2011 006

Church cookbooks are usually full of yummy recipes.  Some of our family’s favorites come from the two cookbooks shown.  I’ve used this one so much that it is falling apart.  The recipes are that good. 

November 29, 2011 008

I love to look through the cookbooks and see the names of people whom I have stood and worshipped with.  Some of the names are those of my family.  Some of the names are church family whom I will not see this side of heaven again.  So many memories are in those church cookbooks…so much more than recipes.

The blue cookbook was given to by my Mom when I got married.  My Mom is an excellent cook.  I love to look through the cookbook and see the little smudges left by the fingers of my Mom as she worked or maybe by the fingers of my brother or me as we stole a little taste test from the dinner she was cooking.  (I think of smudges in cookbooks and on recipes as the sign of a really good recipe and a really good chef!)

I will always cherish these cookbooks and they will always find a place on the shelves of my home. 

That old blue cookbook recently gave us a yummy pot pie recipe.  We could not get enough of this pot pie.  I think it was the best I have ever had.  So I thought that I would share our new best ever chicken pot pie recipe.  (Sorry, forgot to snap a picture…)

Chicken Pot Pie with Cheese Crust (We are going to try it with turkey this week)

  • 1 lg. fryer, cut up
  • 1 c. celery
  • 1 c. diced onions
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 c. melted butter
  • 1/2 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 can mixed veggies

Cheese Crust

  • 1 c. all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 c. butter, softened
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 TBSP water
  • 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Place chicken in 2 quart pot and cover with water; add 1/2 cup diced onions and 1 cup diced celery.  Bring to boil; reduce heat; simmer, covered 30 minutes.  Cool and reserve broth.  Debone chicken and chop meat.

Saute 1/2 cup onion in butter until tender; add flour blending until smooth.  Gradually add 2 1/2 cups broth.  Cook, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened. 

Add salt, pepper, and mixed veggies including the juice. 

Place chicken in a greased 2 quart casserole and add sauce.  Top with cheese crust.

***For crust, combine flour and salt.  Cut in butter.  Add egg and water, blending well.  Stir in cheese.  Roll flat on lightly floured board to fit top of casserole.  (about 1/4 inch thickeness)

Bake the pot pie at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.  Yields 6 to 8 yummy servings!

4 comments:

  1. Church cookbooks are the best you are so right! You know you can count on them for some yummy tested, tried and true recipes. The dressing I make every Thanksgining comes from a church cookbook given to me when one of my parents neighbors passed away years ago. Glad to see you back in the blog world. I know you've probably been busy homeschooling and such. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Melissa. I have been super duper busy lately. It's been hard to get to the computer but my life seems to be balancing out lately. Hopefully that means more time here on the blog and reading other blogs. I've been mainly reading blogs through google reader on my phone when I have five minutes here or there but I can't comment on the blogs when I do that. Hopefully that will change as it all balances out. Hope you have a blessed day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to try this. My family loves anything with cheese. Your right Church cookbooks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle. Thanks for stopping by. :) This recipe is great. I hope your family enjoys it. (We're cheese lovers too...with the exception of one of my children who is a cheese hater.) :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails