Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Garden notes ~ May {week 3}

May 15, 2012 030

::tasks completed::

  • staked more tomato plants
  • fertilized with fish fertilizer
  • daily multiple strolls through the flowers and vegetables
  • mulched beds with pine straw

 

IMG_20120515_115132

::harvested::

  • green onions
  • strawberries
  • raspberries
  • cucumbers (first two!)
  • chocolate cherry tomatoes
  • green beans
  • golden wax beans
  • snow peas
  • swiss chard
  • various herbs

May 15, 2012 026 can you see the baby chick’s beak on the left side of the nest?

::seen this week::

  • baby robins on the grape trellis
  • mama robin eating blackberries
  • lots of tomatoes  {salsa!}
  • blooms on pepper plants
  • bolting lettuce and cilantro
  • bees busily buzzing around the flowers

May 3, 2012 004

::preserved::

  • eight pints of green beans and golden wax beans

IMG_20120515_111622

::to do::

  • stake remaining tomato plants
  • add blood meal to cucumbers in front bed – they are very yellow
  • pull up squash plants – they succumbed to the squash borer worms
  • put netting over blackberries
  • root herb clippings from Dave’s mom
  • start more watermelon and cantaloupe seeds
  • can more green beans and golden wax beans

 

How is your garden growing? 

 

2 comments:

  1. thelittlegrayhouseMay 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM

    Oh the squash borer worms. They are such a pain! I am about to start some squash seeds this afternoon. I pulled up the english peas this morning and plan on putting the squash where the peas had been. I am (fingers croseed) hoping to keep the borers at bay. I overheard a plant vendor talking at our Farmer's Market last week and she was saying to cover the plant stalk in tin foil and burry it a bit in the ground to discourage the worms. I am gonna try it. Can't hurt.

    Love all the other garden progress! You have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about putting tuille over the plants but not foil on the stem. May have to try that. I think I've just about convinced myself that I will just buy my squash and get some from family. Those squash borer worms are the worst!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails