Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday Five {food, fitness, and finds}

It’s Friday evening and we are waiting for David to get home from work.  There’s pizza dough rising and a blueberry cobbler baking.  When you add in a movie, you’ve got some great fixings for a family night!  Here’s a quick Friday Five post for today:

 

#1  Fitness Friday

I joined in on the 42 days to fit challenge over at Marathon Mom this past week.  This week the challenge was to give up sugar.  Since I most definitely have a sugar addiction and most of it is in the form of soda, I knew this would be a tough challenge for me.  I figured that since I was trying to homeschool that fighting a sugar addiction withdrawal would not be fun.  (Can you imagine…algebra + sugar addiction withdrawal…scary mom, for sure!) 

I do realize that this is an excuse but I’ve tried this before…it’s not pretty…especially if you add in teaching algebra to a teenager.  So I decided to limit myself to one soda a day and then once I got close to the weekend I would try to completely cut out the soda since my husband would be home to help with the kids.  Overall, I’ve done well with one soda a day but am not to the no soda over the weekend.  Why is that step so hard for me to take?  Baby steps…

 

#2  Yummy, quick, and healthy lunch

 August 23, 2012 030

Last weekend I took a little time to prep some lunches for myself.  I need to eat a little differently from the kids in order to help my weight loss.  So I cut some chicken breasts in to small pieces and froze them in individual freezer bags.  While preparing the kids’ meal, I stir fry the chicken in a little olive oil, add some garlic and seasonings and then throw in some veggies and little soy sauce.  One day, I used spinach and sprinkled with a little more garlic powder while cooking.  It was incredibly yummy, quick, and healthy!

 

#3  Cooking with beans

I found this new to me blog with a great post on cooking beans.  I love cooking with beans and am always on the look out for new recipes.  I’ve not gotten far into checking this new to me blog out yet but it looks like a great read!  Check it out:

The Prudent Homemaker:  How to eat beans every night

** I just realized that she also has a website here.  I can’t wait to check it out! 

 

#4  My daughter is becoming a cook

August 24, 2012 008

My oldest daughter baked cookies for us today.  And she did most of it by herself.  My baby is growing up {sigh}

 

#5  Good Food on a Tight Budget

I’m always on the lookout for ways to save money in the kitchen.  I recently stumbled across this guide to good food on a tight budget.  I haven’t actually read it yet but wanted to share it.  I hope to read that soon also (I’m seeing a trend here.)  If you get a chance to read it, please let me know what you think about it. 

Good Food on a Tight Budget

That’s all the time I have today.  I just pulled the blueberry cobbler out of the oven and now I’m off to roll out some pizza dough and have a fun family night with my kids and husband! 

I hope you have a great weekend!

Adriane

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails