Saturday, May 8, 2010

Our preschool ~ The letter V


(This is my first post to Preschool Corner and I am super excited! :)

It has been a while since I’ve shared Sunshine Girl’s preschool happenings. We ended up just sitting down and spending a lot of time on the letter V.  There has just been so much to do with the letter V and we still didn’t do it all.  But here is what we did do:

~ V is for Vegetables ~

DSCN2862 Using various vegetables, Sunshine Girl made prints on the letter V (template at DLTK).  I carved a little face in the potato for the smiley face!

vegetableprints collage

We spent time outdoors and planted vegetables.  Radishes are good for little ones because they give quick results.  We also planted some sunflower seeds and transplanted herbs and tomatoes.

planting veggies collage 

Sunshine Girl did many fun activities with the letter V!  She…

vegetable activities collage

We spent a lot of time exploring seeds.  We placed seeds in a clear glass vase with damp paper towels.  Over the days, we have been able to observe the stages of a seed which we had read about in the book How a Seed Grows by Helene J. Jordan.  We are also trying to sprout avocado seeds and a potato. 

seeds collageSunshine Girl also made a lapbook this week and helped me draw the garden in my gardening journal.  :)  (Items for lapbook found here and here.)

veggielapbookcollageV is such a fun letter that you have just can’t spend time on one subject.  Oh no, you also have to learn that:

~ V is for Volcano~

DSCN3411  Printable found at Making Learning Fun

 We made a “mountain” around a glass of baking soda.  (Ok, you have to squint really hard for it to look like a mountain. ;)  We poured vinegar into it to make a volcano.

volcano collageWe had so much fun learning about the letter V!

Books we used this week:

  • How a Seed Grows by Helene J. Jordan
  • The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds
  • Growing Vegetable Soup by Lois Ehlert
  • Eating the Alpahbet by Lois Ehlert

 To read other Preschool Corner posts, please visit Homeschool Creations.

 

8 comments:

  1. AMAZING ideas!!!I enjoyed this post. (love what you are doing with the photos! I will have to come back to this post next week to steal some ideas (lol)! have a nice weekend and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda! And as far as stealing ideas :), it seems that I steal, um...borrow some from you too! ;) It's all good! You have a great Mother's Day too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post :) Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I would have to come back to this post! I am going to really focus on pre-school for our next school year. this is one area I am falling behind on. I love the lapbook photo..namely because I am really into lapbooks now. We ar getting to do a honey bee lapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sbswtp ~ This letter was so fun to do. I could have probably stretched the activities out a few more weeks!

    Amanda ~ We enjoy lapbooks too. A honeybee one sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books - we read and enjoyed many of them. We sort of missed the gardening season this year because of construction in the house. Oh well, there is always next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books - we read and enjoyed many of them. We sort of missed the gardening season this year because of construction in the house. Oh well, there is always next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post :) Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails