Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Planning for May’s homeschool ~ Weeks 1 & 2

DSCN3538

Whew! We’re in the home stretch! Our state requires 180 days of school for homeschools and since we are approaching that number, we will soon wrap up this year in our little school. We will officially finish the last of May but we will spend 2 – 3 days a week in June focusing on math facts and doing our read alouds. The kids will also be visiting the library and reading books & completing projects on their own. I plan to take the month of July off because if the garden does well, I will need to do preserving then. We will start back up early August. I want to be as done as possible when next spring rolls around so we can spend more time outdoors. It is too hot here to be outside much in August anyway. Since we are going to be inside more then, we might as well begin school too! :)

DSCN3536

One of the things on my to do list was to plan out the rest of the school year. I spent time this past weekend with the older children’s core subjects and made checklists of the lessons to complete for the school year. They have enjoyed having their lessons listed and they are excited as they check off tasks done since they know that they are getting closer to summer!

This post will be a listing of our other subjects ~ preschool, science, history, geography, etc. It is mainly to have a place for me to link my ideas and write them down so I can find everything in one place. Plus, next year it will help me to know what we did last year with a click of a button!

~Our preschool lessons for the month of May will focus on the zoo and animals. I will probably touch on some other things that start with those letters (like the letter m is full of ideas) but mainly through the books we read. Our activities will focus on animals except for M week. On one day we will focus on music and xylophone because x is a tricky little letter to teach!~

~May 3 – 7~

Preschool

~ Letter Z ~

Themes: zoo & zebra

Older Children

~ Complete seeds & plants~ (see April’s planning)

~ Earthworms ~

~May 10 - 14~

Preschool

~Letter M & the letter X~

Themes: Monkey, mice, mammals, and music (x is for xylophone)

Older Children

~Simple Machines from chapter 1 of The Swiss Family Robinson~

3 comments:

  1. You are so very organized. i desire to bring more organization into our homeschool for the upcoming school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda. I have to be organized because I don't fly by the seat of my pants very well. I wish I did. I've always thought that it would be fun to be impulsive and just instantly create a learning situation but I'm a planner. Wow, I sound pretty uptight there. I'm really not! :) It just helps me to plan. It keeps me calm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw your comment on my blog about the picture size..SORRY!
    I did it in adobe photo shop
    its 925x363.
    hope this helps!
    let me know if I can be of any more help.
    by the way(I am on a laptop, what does the header look like on your computer?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails