Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The garden in March ~

I love to be in the garden.  I really love it.  I could just stand there and do nothing at all and be perfectly content. 

March 28, 2011 020

Every morning I have to take a load of clothes out to the garage to wash and every morning, I will wander back to the garden and look around at the plants emerging from the soil.

March 28, 2011 039

I plan in my mind (and later on paper) what I want to plant in those new boxes that David built for me.  He cut down some trees so the garden would get a little more light which enabled us to add 4 new beds (with one more in the works). 

March 28, 2011 026

I count all of the strawberries and wonder if any will even make it into the house.  This will be our first year to actually harvest strawberries and we are all very excited.

March 28, 2011 033

I make lists of what soil in which box needs some compost or manure.  I pull a few weeds.  I remind myself to buy some more pine straw mulch to help cut down on weeds.  I know to others it may look like I’m just walking around in circles but my mind is busy the entire time.

March 28, 2011 035

I plan what yummy foods we will be enjoying with our garden harvests.  And I try to figure out what in the world I’m going to do with 160 onions!  (And if anyone local would like some yellow or red onions, I’m sure to have plenty if my crop continues to do well.  Well, maybe not quite 160 since the fallen tree took out a few.)

March 28, 2011 059

The kids often join me and they say things like this:

Daddy must really love you to build you all these pretty things for the garden.”

I know David does love me and he truly speaks my love language because he has built all of the raised beds, the herb and strawberry beds, the trellis pictured above…actually, he has built it all and he is even working on a new…

March 28, 2011 048

arbor for the entrance to the garden.  I’m so thankful that I am blessed to be married to such a wonderful man.  {smile}

March 30, 2011 004Most of the garden right now is on paper and it will probably change again before it’s all said and done. {click photo to enlarge} (And I can not figure out where to put those sweet potatoes that I want to plant this year!)  But so far we have planted:

radishes

sugar snap peas

snow peas

lettuce

potatoes

carrots

basil and dill

strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and herbs (returning from last year)

onions 

According to the Farmer’s Almanac, we need to wait until April 5 – 7 for the next planting of above ground crops.  Until then, I’m just planning, dreaming, and rearranging.  And I’m loving our little garden in the city…

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving it too...

    In fact, I'm drooling.

    It's beautiful, green, bright, cheerful. Just what I need on this dreary, rainy week:)

    Your sweet girl is getting so tall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am in loVe wiTH your garden!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails