Monday, September 26, 2011

This girl loves the great outdoors

I have been one grouchy, grouchy mama lately.

I’m not proud of it but I’ve got a good excuse.

It’s called

insomnia.

Yes, a week of very little sleep will leave a mama in a not so great mood.

It’s sad, but true.  (I’m only human.)

And how do you cure it?

Well, obviously get some sleep but

then we’re back at that insomnia thing…

vicious cycle, I tell ya.

For me, there is a great pick-me-up.

On the morning after the worst night of sleeplessness in history, I headed out to a place that brings me joy, peace, and energy.

The WoodsSeptember 26, 2011 065

We all felt so at home in the woods as we

explored,

September 26, 2011 049

worked,

September 26, 2011 053

and played.

September 26, 2011 041

And even though I was bone tired, I lost my grouchiness (and I’m sure my kiddos were quite relieved) as we walked back and forth along the long road between the deer stands.

September 26, 2011 019

We had some great talks on that road about

temperate forests (what we’ve been studying in science and now we were walking in one.  How cool is that!),

animal tracks,

and

(we can not forget our talks about) scat.

September 26, 2011 024

That’s poop, by the way.

Evan pointed out every little bit of scat he saw along the trail.

And don’t worry, he’s not touching it above.

He’s hovering right above it and I’m saying,

Evan, please don’t touch the poop!” 

But I do keep a little antibacterial cleanser around, just in case.

September 26, 2011 070

The guys worked hard getting the stands in place for the hunting season

and

building hopes of a season of getting some food for our freezer.  (Me too.)

I chased littles around and helped out when

one fell with his candy on the ground

September 26, 2011 027

and made faces while we listened to the radio and tried to escape the heat for a while.

(The girls took these two pictures of each other…)

September 26, 2011 042

September 26, 2011 044

We left the woods and we were

happy,

hopeful,

peaceful,

and

tired.

September 26, 2011 016

Tired, did I mention that?

And I think we all found the cure for insomnia

and

an escape from the cares of the world that sometimes lead to insomnia.

And that’s one (of many) reasons why this girl loves the great outdoors.

 

1 comment:

  1. And don't the kids just stop whinging like magic when they get outside! ; ) Outdoors, it heals so many ailments, me-thinks.

    Lovely pics, grace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails