Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January and February gardening in Louisiana

January 30, 2012 018

I’ve had some gardening friends and family members ask me about when it was good time to plant this or that so I figured that I’d post the planting information that I have here on the blog for those who live in our area.

All information that I am providing comes from the LSU AgCenter site {look down the page for the link to Louisiana Vegetable Planting Guide to see the actual planting dates).

Can plant in January:

beets, broccoli (seed), carrots, cauliflower, swiss chard, cabbage, chinese cabbage, kohlrabi, lettuce (last day to plant 1/31), onion sets, English peas, Irish potatoes, radishes, turnips, mustard greens

Can plant in February:

snap beans (pole and bush), beets, carrots, cauliflower, swiss chard, chinese cabbage, sweet corn, kohlrabi, Irish potatoes, radishes, turnips, mustard greens

This blogger who lives in Dallas, Texas (similar climate to ours so I often use her information as a guide also) has more information on planting and starting seeds in Texas. 

What we have in the garden right now:

mustard greens

snow peas

carrots

swiss chard

broccoli (trying to start from seed – new for me so we shall see)

turnips

lettuce – leaf & butterhead

Still need to put in some cold weather crops and soon!

Have you started your 2012 garden yet?

4 comments:

  1. I'm in Fort Worth (TX) and this time of year I start planting Cilantro. I know the packets tell you to wait until after the last chance of frost but in my garden I've got little plants growing from seeds that dropped last year. If you plant some every three weeks or so you'll get cilantro until it bolts in the heat. Of course, if you don't like cilantro - never mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see. We have Irish Potatoes, sweet peas, broccoli from the fall, cabbage from the fall, newer cabbage plants, red leaf lettuce, swiss chard, carrots, chives, parsley, onions, garlic, and spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago, I tried cilantro. I was a novice and planted it on the west side ie. hottest side of our house. Of course, it bolted and bolted very early. I need to try again in a shadier spot. But I still wonder if it will be here when we have tomatoes or if it will have bolted? I sure do love cilantro in fresh salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're off to a great start this year! I decided not to do potatoes this year. And I seriously love potatoes. I decided to save the spot for tomatoes instead. But may try sweet potatoes if I have space when it is time to plant. I just need to make more planting boxes I think! I have chives coming back but it looks like they crossed with something. The leaves are very broad now. It's kind of weird. So I still need to replant some more of those. I'm actually going to get onions in late. Oh well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails