Sunday, March 25, 2012

Friends and fish

That’s quite a title there, isn’t it?  Those two things seem to be totally unrelated in life.  And yet for our family, there is a connection.

March 20, 2012 015

Let me take you back a little bit.  A few years ago, I was feeling very lonely.  It seems weird to be lonely in a house filled with five children and a husband who is your very best friend.  But I was lonely.  I’m sure I could analyze that and figure out the whole why behind it but I won’t.  I just knew that I wanted a friend.  Even more than that, I felt like I needed a friend.

March 20, 2012 020

I began to pray to God and asked that He would send me a friend.  And I just knew that this friend would be a homeschooling mom who liked to garden, sew, can food, music, etc…basically she would be someone just like me!

March 20, 2012 024

 

Now here’s where it gets kind of funny.  But it not only gets funny – it gets kind of cool too.

March 20, 2012 029

God answered my prayer.  But not like I anticipated.  It even took me a little while to see that my prayer had been answered but had been answered in a much larger way than I anticipated.

March 20, 2012 023

You see, I did not get a friend just like me.  I got many new friends and not a one of them is exactly like me.  Actually, each of my friends shares some interests with me but not all of my interests.  I have one friend who loves music but doesn’t care to spend time outside.   Some of my dear friends are homeschooling moms but one of my dearest is not a homeschool mom.  And another one of my friends is not even a mom!  All of these friends share pieces of my life and they encourage me along this journey.

March 20, 2012 033

March 20, 2012 031 

  What does this all have to do with friends and fish?  It’s actually quite a stretch to try to connect the two but…perhaps one of the most surprising answers to my prayer for friends was being blessed to be friends with people who are much older than myself. 

March 20, 2012 035

Our family was blessed with becoming friends with people who are the age of our Grandparents.  This couple, the W’s, had four children.  They are also avid gardeners.  The W’s have been on the same journey that we are on – a journey that seeks to raise children for God and as people who love to spend time in nature.  They have so much to share…and not just worldly goods but  life experiences, love of God, and knowledge.  It is good to have friends who have been there/done that to help support and encourage you.

 March 20, 2012 034

 

Last week, they called us and asked us if we wanted to spend some time out at their place.  We headed out on a Friday evening after David got home from work and we fished from their pond.  Then we roasted hot dogs and sat out under the stars as we talked about gardening.  All of the pictures in this post are from that visit to the W’s place.

Evan's fish I am thankful that God sent all of these friends into my life.  Now my prayer is that I will be a friend to them also for I truly believe that you must be a friend to have a friend.   May I also reach out and share the life experiences, love of God, and knowledge that I have gained with others too.  That’s what being a friend is all about anyway!

March 20, 2012 046

March 20, 2012 050

 

 

2 comments:

  1. thelittlegrayhouseMarch 26, 2012 at 7:33 PM

    First of all I love the new header! Second, love the way God answered your prayer. I recently have found a group of friends thru a women's coffee night. They are nothing like the friends I thought I would end up hanging out with but they have been such a blessing. God always knows just what we need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. He knows what we need just when we need it. I'm glad that you've also been blessed with some friends too. :) Thanks about the new header.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails