Sunday, July 1, 2012

The chicken coop

June 29, 2012 039

When we built our chicken coop last year, one of the visions that I had was that the coop blended into the garden.  We placed our coop on the shady side of the garden and I filled in with a few plants.  But it just wasn’t what I had envisioned.

Until this year…

June 29, 2012 034

The grape trellis is close to the chicken coop and since it was growing like crazy, we figured it will work well to add some green to the coop and run.  David used some fencing material and wire to build a long trellis down the long side of the coop/run (right above the little white fence).  We then trained the grape vines to grow down the trellis.

June 29, 2012 024

Some of the grape vines are even trellising over the coop and run…

June 29, 2012 026

At some point this may get kind of awkward as the grapes grow on these vines but for now it is providing shade for the chickens and “softening” the edges of the coop and run.

June 29, 2012 027

Now we are adding plants around the base of the coop and run.  These cast iron plants were dug up from the front of our house.  Instead of throwing them away, we replanted them here.  We actually have plans to expand the run so I’ve not planted more.  However, once the run is enlarged, I plan to fill in plants around the coop and run to make it seem like a part of our garden.

 June 29, 2012 033

I love the old-fashioned appeal of the flowers spilling out of the bed, the white fence, the grape vines, and the little white chicken coop!  It’s my slice of country living right here in the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails