Wednesday, November 14, 2012

When a home school mom is sick…

It happens.  Sore throat.  Congestion.  Sinus headache.  Cough, cough.

Even we home school moms get sick on occasion.

A friend asked me how I handle sick mom days in our home school.

So what does our home school look like when I am sick?

Stick to the basics.

November 14, 2012 009

Let the kids do all of the reading and rest your voice. (I have to knit while they read or I will fall asleep.  There’s something about a busy mom who sits still for too long will always fall asleep!  Or is that just me?)

November 8, 2012 006

Limit math to basic reviews.  Save the harder problems for a day when you have the voice (& energy) to handle them.

November 14, 2012 018

Let history or science be taught by Netflix. (We watched Lewis & Clark today to coincide with the literature selection of the 7th grader.  We love to watch Beakman’s World for science too.)

November 14, 2012 015

When mom is sick is a good time to fit in reviews.  Make reviews of phonograms, math facts, etc. fun by playing against the timer.

November 14, 2012 017

 Read (older kids can read these to the littles if needed) seasonal/holiday/library books and do simple art/writing projects.

November 14, 2012 021

 

Then send the kiddos outside for some sunshine and release of energy while you sit down to rest and re-cooperate. (And if I’m actually sitting, I might as well get in some much needed planning!)

Sick home school mom days are hard.  But learning can and does happen! 

What do sick mom home school days look like in your home?

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails