Sunday, September 27, 2009

Got books?

Album 9 - 25 - 2009 084

I love to read…always have and probably always will.  The library is probably on my list of the top ten places that I love to visit.  I don’t have as much time to read now since I’m in a very busy season of life but I try to read when I can.  Actually, I keep a stack of books on my end table by my “little nest” on the couch.  (I call my usual sitting place my nest because I feel like a momma bird with my chicks gathered around me in that cozy spot.)  I also keep a stack of books on my night stand though I don’t read much in bed.  It seems that I fall asleep the second my head hits the pillow. 

Album 9 - 25 - 2009 part 2 005

I’ve been a little disheartened over the years that my older children did not seem to love books like I loved books.  Then I introduced my oldest to the library and he found books on military life, hunting, and guns.  A light bulb went off in my head and I got him books about history involving guns, hunting, military, etc.  Now he reads…it does my heart good. 

My other children are starting to read more and I try to keep a chapter book going for them in addition the Bible stories and picture books that we read for school.  Currently, we are reading The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden before bed.  I also checked out the audiobook of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  We’ve not started listening to it yet but tomorrow will be a day spent on the road and I plan on enjoying it with the kids. 

Album 9 - 25 - 2009 049

In order to encourage my children to read more and to enrich my life, I’ve decided to make a goal of trying to read one book a week between now and the end of the year.  Honestly, this is probably a bit of a lofty goal, but I’ll give it a try anyway.  I plan on documenting it on the blog…maybe in a side bar…I don’t know yet.  But here is a beginning reading list for me…

Me, Myself, & Lies   by Jennifer Rothschild (This is really a study guide type book for my discipleship training class.)

A Survivors Guide to Home Schooling by Luanne Shackelford & Susan White (I’ve all ready read this but didn’t realize it until I checked it out from the library.  I’m reading back through it for some encouragement.)

The Gathering Storm by W. E. Davis  (My mom let me borrow this because I love historical fiction.)

The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson

A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola

So what are you reading?  I’m always on the look out for a good book.  When I get in the library, there are so many books that I don’t know where to start.  Also, I’m rarely alone in there so I try to know before hand what I’m getting so I can grab it quickly.  If you’re reading a good book or have read a good book, leave me a comment and let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails