Thursday, July 12, 2012

Getting ready for a new school year

July 11, 2012 035

Around here, summers are for resting.  But summers are also for planning and readying for a new school year.  Of course, there is sorting through old curriculum and shopping for new curricular additions.  However, there are many other things that we do to get our home ready for the beginning of school.

  • Cleaning and organizing our home

Let’s face it…during the school year there is just not much time for deep cleaning and organizing.  Summer, however, is a different story.  Closets are cleaned.  Junk that was squeezed under beds is put into appropriate places.   Cobwebs are swept away…

This summer, I have divided our home into zones.  These zones will be deep cleaned and organized one zone at a time.  I’m hoping that this will help keep me from being overwhelmed by all that needs to be done.  As I made the list out, I did realize that there is no way that I will be able to complete all zones before school starts in August.  Work in these zones will end up going into the school year but I have them in order of “need to be done”ness so the zones on the latter part of the list are okay for now.  (But by the time I get to them…well, I’m sure it will be a different story!)

What are the zones?  Well, I’m glad you asked {smile}:

  • Zone 1 – School room/Dining room
  • Zone 2 – Front porch/entrances
  • Zone 3 – Living Room
  • Zone 4 – Bathrooms
  • Zone 5 – Kitchen
  • Zone 6 – Closets

I plan to share the work in these areas as it progresses.  I love the accountability of this blog! 

July 11, 2012 002

  • Motivating the teacher

There…I said it…I need motivating.  I strive to be completely transparent on this blog so I try to be honest.  And while I love homeschooling, it is hard!  When the month of May rolls around every year, I am more than happy to step away from it all and catch my breath.  But it doesn’t take long before I am ready to jump back into it! 

During the summer, I try to read books that motivate me as a teacher of my children.  Here are some of the books that I like to read during the summer:

  • A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola
  • Educating the WholeHearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson
  • The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer
  • 101 More Devotions for the Homeschooling Mom by Jackie Wellwood

I also love to read many of the great homeschooling blogs as well as Pinterest for many fun & exciting educational activities that are motivating as I plan the new school year.

 

DSCN39175

  • Developing new schedules and routines

Every year brings something new with it and the need for new schedules.  Last year, we added swim team to our schedules and had to work that into our days.  We even have school for the little ones that takes a little special scheduling.  I’m sure I’ll talk more on this as the school year approaches. 

  • Ordering, buying, and organizing curriculum & materials

I am a curriculum junkie!  Seriously, I love looking through curriculum catalogs and talking curriculum with other moms.  Since I’m such a curriculum lover, you know that there will be a post about that!  We also love our shopping for school supplies and Mom’s must-haves

I’ve all ready been stocking up on school supplies by buying a little bit here and there when I am in the store.  However, we will soon have our annual back-to-school supply shopping day!

It seems there is much to do before our school starts in August! 

Have you started readying your home {and yourself} for the start of school?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and I love to communicate with my blog friends! Thank you for leaving a comment. I hope you have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails